June 2019 Newsletter
Thursday, June 13, 2019, 7:00 PM
In theory, Spring is here, and it will be getting warmer, and the sun will be out more to brighten our days in Michigan, but that hasn’t happened yet. All we can do is hope Mother Nature cooperates in the upcoming months, so we all can enjoy summer in Michigan. With that beautiful weather comes the opportunity to enjoy the deck at the Knights of Columbus. I want to thank all those responsible for the improvements to the grounds this Spring. I know Paul Grycki, and Chad Ernest played a significant role, thank you for the hard work.
The Knights of Columbus will be holding a fundraiser for the Lee Family on Saturday, June 15th from 5-11 pm with hamburgers and hot dogs for a free will donation and The Zagar Trio playing from 7-11 pm. This event is for Lucas Lee, who was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma. Lucas is the 9-month-old son of Amanda (Teacher at MCC, Daughter of Ron Hower, fellow Knight) and Dennis Lee. This is a rare form of brain cancer, which has caused Lucas to undergo two brain surgeries, and he has begun a year-long regimen of chemotherapy. All the proceeds will go to the Lee Family to support medical and other costs for Lucas’ treatment. We will have raffles and 50/50 drawing going on during the event. Please come down and help support the family and enjoy the event. Please let me know if you would like to contribute financially or help with this event.
If anybody would like to get more involved with events, please don’t hesitate to contact another member or me. We have many opportunities to serve this great Muskegon community.
“A good deed is the best prayer” Robert G. Ingersoll
May 2nd a First Degree was held at our council. We initiated nine new members: Mike Brown, Greg LaGuire, Allan Lowe III, Aaron Langlois, Joel VanAelst, Robert Herbert Jr., Nico Cerniglia, Ronald Adamczyk, and Frank Lewandoski. We also had two transfers: Stephen Babcock and Thomas Ladd. Please try to get to know these new Brother Knights and welcome them into our brotherhood. Hopefully you new men can all find something to help out at our parishes, the hall and the events. Please try to get involved.
Council Meeting June 13th
Elections of Officers, induction to be held at the meeting.
Nominations for 2019-2020 Council Officers:
- Grand Knight – Matt Carlton
- Deputy Grand Knight – Chuck Wahl
- Treasurer – Joe Kelly,
- Recorder – Doug Zuidema
- Advocate – Joe Gawron
- Chancellor – Bill McDermott
- Warden – Tom Seastrom
- Inside Guard – Steve Dewall
- Outside Guard – Leo Denslow,
- Trustees 1 year- Dennis Chandonnet
- Trustees 2 year – Lee Chandonnet
- Trustees 3 year – Don Martines
June 2nd - Graduation breakfast @ St. Francis de Sales
June 15th-Lee Fund Raiser 5-11 PM
St Francis Usher Schedule for Sunday’s 11:00 AM Masses:
Add these date to your calendar and try to arrive 20 minutes early to Mass
- June 16th
- July 7th
- July 28th
Matt Carlton, Grand Knight
a) Building Association meeting Monday, June 10th at 6:30 pm
b) June 29th – Help on the Community Breakfast, at the Congregational church.
c) See the online calendar for all the events.
May - Council Meeting Highlights:
a) We are in good standings with Supreme
b) Next meeting June 13th at 7:00 pm - Election of Officers.
Membership Goals 2018-2019:
- Members needed:22 – 9 initiated on May 2nd.
- New insurance members needed: 11
Building Association News:
Saturday, July 27, 2019 – Annual Fund Raiser Beer Tent
Entertainment – Westside Soul Surfers
We will need many hands to help with this; please volunteer some time to help out in some capacity. This is one of our most substantial efforts to raise money for Local Charities. Please don’t wait to be asked, step forward. We are just in the planning stage, so mark your calendars.
Building Association President,
Bulletin Editor Note
The Thursday morning golfing started on May 2, but due to the weather only played a couple of times in May. The time will change to 9:00 AM on June 6th, still at Eagle Island Golf Course, 800 S Mill Iron Rd, Muskegon, MI 49442. You don’t have to be a great golfer; this is a fun league. Handicaps will be established, and partners selected at check-in. If you can make it just show up, who knows who you might get stuck with for a partner. There is a $1.00 charge for prize money, and green fees are $10.50. Come join the fun!.
Thoughts of the Month
Some short stories are all terrific stories and make us think twice about the daily happenings in our lives as we deal with others!!
1. Today at 7 AM, I woke up feeling ill but decided I needed the money, so I went into work. At 3 PM, I got laid off. On my drive home I got a flat tire. When I went into the trunk for the spare, it was flat too.
A man in a BMW pulled over and gave me a ride. We chatted. And, then he offered me a job.
I start tomorrow.
2. Today, as my father, three brothers, and two sisters stood around my mother's hospital bed, my mother uttered her last coherent words before she died. She simply said, "I feel so loved right now. We should have gotten together like this more often."
3. Today, I kissed my dad on the forehead as he passed away in a small hospital bed. About 5 seconds after he passed, I realized it was the first time I had given him a kiss since I was a little boy.
4. Today, in the cutest voice, my 8-year-old daughter asked me to start recycling. I chuckled and asked, "Why?" She replied, "So you can help me save the planet." I chuckled again and asked, "And why do you want to save the planet?" "Because that's where I keep all my stuff," she said.
Please support our Council Advertisers below they support our council, let's support them.